The great advance of the health care system in the Saudi Arabia together with the world-wide advances in the field medicine and the associated nursing services necessitate increase in the number of the Saudi technicians qualified in the nursing field to bridge the deficient gap in this area and to upgrade the performance in the nursing field as this will be reflected positively on the overall integration of the health services.
Curriculum plan and the bylaws:
• The nursing undergraduate curriculum is four-year program divided on eight semesters in addition to an internship year. Semesters one and two represent the premed phase (preparatory phase), semester three is a common phase to all the departments of the college and semester four through semester eight constitute the specialty phase. This program applies the semester plan adopted by the Saudi Universities (The undergraduate bylaws).
• Students are not allowed to pass from phase to another unless they fulfill all the educational requirements of the previous academic year.
The objectives of the program are:
- Graduation of qualified and trained personnel in the nursing field to fulfill the deficiency of workers in this field and to be consistent with the health man power development.
- To provide students with the required knowledge and competencies in different areas of nursing sciences.
- To qualify the nursing graduates with the required skills that would be reflected to the optimal performance in the nursing service.
- To provide the graduates with the required nursing knowledge to better practicing nursing career.
- To provide graduates with the nursing ethics required for professional practicing.
- To enable graduates to continue their postgraduate studies and to continuously upgrade their knowledge and competencies.
- To develop their ability as self learners for future continuous nursing education.
General Competencies of the Students:
Students enrolled in the nursing program should be able to:
• Follow the theoretical and applied practical issues and acquire nursing skills.
• Understand and describe the anatomical, physiological and biological changes of different age periods.
• Better utilization of the available laboratory and diagnostic facilities in all the technical levels.
• Read and understand figures, data, and results of the different lab tests.
• Present the utmost skills in dealing with the patient and his/her relatives in all disease circumstances.
• Tolerate sitting and/or standing for relatively long time in doing some works.
• Work in the field training and nurse service sittings.
• Safe handling of the chemical, biological and dangerous materials and with a scientific approach.
• Show the tremendous skills in dealing with cases in critical and emergency situations.
• Obtain samples from patients in the proper time and in a professional way.
• Perform examination according to the standard scheme.
• Show respect to patients, supervisors, and colleagues with best communication with them together with keeping confidentiality in all levels of communication.
• Share in the health researches that would lead to improvement of the health care system.
• Practicing continuous self education and to benefit from the available information technology through proper scientific and linguistic way.