The huge progress in health services the kingdom is witnessing and the worldwide progress in medical laboratory diagnostic technologies necessitate increasing number of specialized Saudi technologists in medical laboratory diagnostic technologies (Bachelor Degree of medical laboratory technology) to cover the needs of labor market and to improve performance in diagnostic medical laboratory units.
The curriculum and bylaws:
The curriculum follows the 'semester system' extending over 5 years; eight semesters and internship year. The first two semesters form the common preparatory year with other health sciences. The third semester is common to all departments of the college. The fourth to eighth semesters constitute the specialization stage.
The program applies the semester system of other Saudi Universities (bylaws of the Higher Education).
Goals of the program:
This program aims at:
Providing the qualified calibers in the field of medical laboratory technologies to fill the gap in labor market and to match development plans.
- Providing students with theoretical knowledge and practical skills in different aspects of medical laboratories.
- Qualifying the graduates with the technical skills to utilize the sophisticated diagnostic equipment
- Providing graduates with necessary knowledge necessary for laboratory management.
- Providing students with professional ethics
- Preparing graduates theoretically and practically for the promotion of their technical and research skills to enable them continuing higher education
- Developing student self directed learning skills for continuous learning after graduation
General student abilities
Graduates of the program of the Bachelor Degree in Medical Laboratory Technologists should be able to:
- Follow the practical explanation for testing biochemical, hematological, immunological, microbiological and histochemical components in biological specimens
- Differentiate color, smell, clarity and viscosity of biological and chemical specimens
- Using light microscope
- Reading and understanding texts, numbers and data in written and display screens
- Running laboratory test taking safety precautions in consideration
- Performing tasks that require sitting or standing for long periods
- Dealing with risky chemical and biological substances
- Taking patient specimens in the specified time in safe professional manner
- Using laboratory equipment with efficiency and responsibility
- Performing the steps of examination according to the rules
- Showing respect to patients, bosses and peers and following secrecy in all dealings